The GREAT War 1914 -
Adlington, Anderton and Heath Charnock remember.
Local War Memorials.
The main War Memorial for Adlington, Anderton, Duxbury, Heath Charnock and Rivington is on Railway Road in Adlington, and it was dedicated on the 12th of November 1927. It commemorates 140 men who died in the First World War, and 54 from the Second World War.
There are other memorials. There is a plaque in the porch of St Paul’s Church, which records the names of those who lived within that parish, and three individual memorials within the church, an oak credence table, a litany desk, and a sacramental bread holder.
St Joseph’s church in Anderton has a cross within the church grounds. There are tablets within the United Reform and Methodist Church on Railway Road Adlington, which originally came from the Primitive Methodist Chapel and also the Methodist Church in Adlington. In addition there is the original brass panels from the then Congregational Church.
Several Heath Charnock men are commemorated in Rivington Church.
Additional memorials are within Anderton County Primary School, the Bay Horse Inn on Babylon Lane, Heath Charnock, and the Rivington Village Club.
The tower of St Paul’s Church in Adlington was built as a memorial. It was originally planned to have a spire, but was completed without in 1935.
Further details can be found in the booklet ‘ The War Memorials of Adlington and District’, which is available in Adlington library.